This client approached Ros to career coach them and discover whether law really was a suitable career for them and if not to investigate other options. A typical six session career programme contains the following elements which are adapted to meet the needs of each client:
- My Story – the Myers Briggs Type Indicator is used to look at personality type in the context of careers, and also look back at the highs and lows of their career and life to date and capture the learning that emerges. The client is encouraged at this stage to start an Ideas Bank and capture any career options that pop up for them along the way.
- The Essence of Me – captures the client’s values and personal and professional strengths and qualities.
- All I Can Be – explores the client’s work motivators and generates a sense of what their ideal working life looks like.
- Navigating Boundaries and Barriers – looks at the constraints, real or imagined, that might hold the client back from achieving their ideal career and life and build strategies to tackle any barriers.
- Assets and Options – audits skills, interests and passions, reviews the client’s CV and generates three career options for the future.
- Stepping Into the Future – focuses on clarifying and promoting a personal brand and building an action plan to plot the way forward.
At the end of their time together, the client gained a significant insight into what careers might suit them and a significant insight into their personality. The client established it was not the work of a lawyer which was failing to make them feel happy and fulfilled in their work, but the environment they worked in. The client chose to move to a not-for-profit organisation